About the Data
Description of the data source, numerator, denominator, survey questions, and other relevant details about the national estimate.
Number of public health or related bachelor’s degrees awarded in the U.S.
- Men, Nonresident alien
- Men, Hispanic/Latino
- Men, American Indian or Alaska Native
- Men, Asian
- Men, Black or African American
- Men, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
- Men, White
- Men, Two or more races
- Men, Race and ethnicity unknown
- Women, Nonresident alien
- Women, Hispanic/Latino
- Women, American Indian or Alaska Native
- Women, Asian
- Women, Black or African American
- Women, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
- Women, White
- Women, Two or more races
- Women, Race and ethnicity unknown
- Postsecondary award, certificate, or diploma of (less than 1 academic year)
- Postsecondary award, certificate, or diploma of (at least 1 but less than 2 academic years)
- Postsecondary award, certificate, or diploma of (at least 2 but less than 4 academic years)
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Doctor's degree - research/scholarship
- Doctor's degree - professional practice
- Doctor's degree - other
- Postbaccalaureate certificate
- Post-master's certificate
From the 2014–2015 Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System:
Please enter the awards conferred between JULY 1, 2013 and JUNE 30, 2014 for each 6-digit Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) code and award level combination at your institution. Report Hispanic/Latino individuals of any race as Hispanic/Latino. Report race for non-Hispanic/Latino individuals only.
More information on CIP codes are available here: CIP user site.
IPEDS award levels include:
- 51.2201 – Public Health, General
- 51.2202 – Environmental Health
- 51.2205 – Health/Medical Physics
- 51.2206 – Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene
- 51.2207 – Public Health Education and Promotion
- 51.2208 – Community Health and Preventive Medicine
- 51.2209 – Maternal and Child Health
- 51.2210 – International Public Health/International Health
- 51.2211 – Health Services Administration
- 51.2212 – Behavioral Aspects of Health
- 51.2299 – Public Health, Other
- 26.1309 – Epidemiology
- 44.0503 – Health Policy Analysis
- 51.0504 – Dental Public Health and Education
Data for this objective comes from the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) collected by the National Center for Education Statistics, Department of Education. The IPEDS universe includes Title IV institutions in the United States and the other jurisdictions of the United States (American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, the Marshall Islands, Palau, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands). The four U.S. service academies that are not Title IV eligible are included in the IPEDS universe because they are federally funded and open to the public (U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Military Academy, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, and U.S. Air Force Academy). One academy, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, is Title IV eligible. Data for all five institutions are included in the IPEDS universe. Only Title IV institutions (not administrative units) are considered the IPEDS universe for these purposes.
The Completions component of IPEDS collects data on the number of degrees and certificates officially conferred in postsecondary education programs. Data are collected on the race/ethnicity and gender of recipients and their programs of study using the Classification of Instructional Program (CIP) codes. The data from this component reflect all formal awards (i.e., degrees, diplomas, certificates) received or conferred between July 1 of a given year, and June 30 of the following year.
The Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) codes for 2010 that are used by the U.S. Department of Education (CIP user site) are used to identify public health and related programs. Public Health programs include all the 51.22 CIP codes:
Public Health Related Programs are those whose CIP codes are refer to in any of the 51.22 Public Health CIP codes:
Only the Bachelor's degree IPEDS awards level was included in this objective.
Any change to the objective text, baseline, target, target-setting method or data source since the Healthy People 2020 launch.
Additional resources about the objective
- National Center for Education Statistics. 2015-16 Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Methodology Report [online]. 2016. [cited 2017 May 03]
- National Center for Education Statistics. Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).