Visit coronavirus.gov for the latest Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) updates.

You are here

HIV-22.3 Data Details

Expand All

HIV-22.3 Increase the percentage of persons who inject drugs (PWID) with diagnosed HIV infection who are virally suppressed

About the Data

Description of the data source, numerator, denominator, survey questions, and other relevant details about the national estimate.

Data Source: 
National HIV Surveillance System
Changed Since the Healthy People 2020 Launch: 
Yes
Measure: 
percent
Baseline (Year): 
39.6 (2010)
Target: 
80
Target-Setting Method: 
Maintain consistency with national programs, regulations, policies, and laws.
Target-Setting Method Justification: 
The National HIV/AIDS Strategy (NHAS) Indicator Work Group set annual targets by allocating the total amount of change needed between the 2010 baseline and the 2020 target as follows: 5% of the total change is expected for each of the initial three years (2011-2013), 10% is expected for each of the subsequent four years (2014-2017), and 15% of the total change is expected for each of the final three years (2018-2020). This allows for implementation activities begun after the release of the 2010 National HIV/AIDS Strategy (NHAS 2010) to take hold and their effects to accelerate over time, rather than expecting slow advances year by year.
Numerator: 

Number of persons aged >13 years categorized as persons who inject drugs with diagnosed HIV infection whose most recent viral load test in the past 12 months showed that HIV viral load was suppressed

Denominator: 

Number of persons aged >13 years with HIV infection diagnosed by previous year-end and alive at year-end

Data Collection Frequency: 
Annual
Methodology Notes: 

    Viral suppression was defined as a viral load test result of <200 copies/mL at the most recent viral load test (except for 2010 when it was defined as ≤200 copies/mL). The cutoff value of <200 copies/mL is based on the definition of virologic failure. If multiple viral load tests were conducted during the same month and could qualify as the “most recent”, the highest viral load (most severe) was selected.

    Viral suppression was measured among persons whose HIV infection was diagnosed by year end x, who resided in any of the jurisdictions with complete lab reporting as of their most recent known address during x+1. For example, viral suppression for 2013 was measured among persons whose HIV infection was diagnosed by year end 2012, who resided in any of the jurisdictions with complete lab reporting as of their most recent known address during 2013.

Caveats and Limitations: 
Data for the viral suppression objective are limited to jurisdictions with complete laboratory reporting of CD4 and viral load test results to CDC. The number of jurisdictions meeting these criteria each year varies and are as follows: 2010- 19 jurisdictions; 2011- 18 jurisdictions; 2012- 28 jurisdictions; and 2013- 33 jurisdictions. The 33 jurisdictions are 32 states and the District of Columbia and represent 69.5% of persons living with diagnosed HIV in 2013.

Revision History

Any change to the objective text, baseline, target, target-setting method or data source since the Healthy People 2020 launch.

Description of Changes Since the Healthy People 2020 Launch: 
HIV-22 was split into three objectives, (HIV-22.1-22.3) in 2016 as part of the re-alignment of the HIV topic area with the 2020 National HIV/AIDS Strategy (NHAS).