Minutes: Third Meeting: June 5 and 6, 2008
Secretary's Advisory Committee on
National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives for 2020
Framework and Areas of New Focus for Healthy People 2020
Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan National Airport
Third Meeting: June 5 and 6, 2008
Committee Recommendations (Approved by Vote)
1. Reaffirm the Vision Statement and Goals (12 votes in favor, 1 absent)
A society in which all people live long, healthy lives.
- Achieve health equity, eliminate disparities, and improve the health of all groups.
- Eliminate preventable disease, disability, injury, and premature death.
- Create social and physical environments that promote good health for all.
- Promote health development and healthy behaviors across every stage of life.
2. Revised Healthy People 2020 Mission Statement (12 votes in favor, 1 absent)
To improve policy and practice by:
- Increasing public awareness and understanding of the underlying causes of health, disease, and disability;
- Providing nationwide priorities and measurable objectives and goals;
- Catalyzing action using the best available evidence;
- Identifying critical research and data collection needs.
3. Healthy People 2020 should address the issue of All Hazards Prepare (12 votes in favor, 1 absent)
- The value of prevention should be addressed in the preface to Healthy People 2020.
- Dr. Manderscheid will follow up with the Federal Interagency Workgroup’s Health Communication and Health IT subgroup to address data needs and gaps, and to identify existing strategies.
- Committee members will consider how the vision, goals, and mission fit together.
- Committee members will review the "preamble" for discussion at the next meeting.
- The issue of how to describe Healthy People will be deferred to the User Subgroup.
- Dr. Kumanyika will coordinate work to finalize three models showing:
- The Healthy People process;
- Broad interventions, and the results of these inputs; and
- The causal web.
- The models' authors should work with Dr. Kumanyika to develop explanatory narratives.
- The subcommittee on health equity and disparities will continue to refine its definitions.
- A Web-based meeting of the Advisory Committee will be scheduled for late July.
- The number and organization of objectives should be a major topic for the next meeting.
- Members should email ideas to Dr. Remington about clustering objectives into focus areas.