Healthy People 2020 Leading Health Indicators: Progress Update
The Healthy People 2020 Leading Health Indicators (LHIs) are a select subset of 26 Healthy People 2020 objectives chosen to communicate high-priority health issues.
Progress has been generally positive toward achieving these targets from 2010 to 2014. Fourteen of the 26 indicators (53.9%) have either met their target or shown improvement:
- 4 indicators (15.4%) have met or exceeded their Healthy People 2020 targets.
- 10 indicators (38.5%) are improving.
- 8 indicators (30.8%) show little or no detectable change.
- 3 indicators (11.5%) are getting worse.
- 1 indicator (3.8%) has only baseline data.
View the Healthy People 2020 Leading Health Indicators: Progress Update Executive Summary [PDF – 1.7 MB] to see a snapshot of progress for the LHIs.
Choose an LHI topic below for a summary on progress toward the indicators.