Objective Development and Selection Process
There are more than 1,200 objectives in Healthy People 2020. Each Healthy People 2020 objective has a:
- Reliable data source
- Baseline measure
- Target for specific improvements to be achieved by the year 2020
Draft objectives were prepared by experts from multiple Lead Federal Agencies. The proposed objectives were then made available for public comment and reviewed by the Federal Interagency Workgroup, which used a set of selection criteria to choose the final objectives.
Many objectives focus on interventions that are designed to reduce or eliminate illness, disability, and premature death among individuals and communities. Others focus on broader issues such as:
- Eliminating health disparities
- Addressing social determinants of health
- Improving access to quality health care
- Strengthening public health services
- Improving the availability and dissemination of health-related information
Review the Healthy People 2020 Objective Selection Criteria [PDF – 143 KB].