History & Development of Healthy People
History of Healthy People
Healthy People 2020 is based on the accomplishments of 4 previous Healthy People initiatives:
- 1979 Surgeon General’s Report: Healthy People: The Surgeon General’s Report on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Healthy People 1990: Promoting Health/Preventing Disease: Objectives for the Nation
- Healthy People 2000: National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives
- Healthy People 2010: Objectives for Improving Health
Development of Healthy People 2020
Healthy People 2020 is the result of a multiyear process that reflects input from a diverse group of individuals and organizations.
Learn more about the Healthy People development process:
- Objective Development and Selection Process
- Federal Interagency Workgroup
- Lead Federal Agencies
- Secretary’s Advisory Committee on National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives
Learn more about the Healthy People 2020 framework by downloading the Healthy People 2020 framework [PDF – 254 KB].
Explore the Healthy People 2010 Final Review: