Public Comment for Healthy People 2030
Public comment is an essential part of developing Healthy People 2030. Members of the public—both individuals and organizations—were invited to provide comments on the Healthy People draft framework and proposed objectives for consideration by HHS.
From December 2018 to January 2019, members of the public commented on the proposed Core, Developmental, and Research objectives and were able to propose additional objectives. These objectives were selected using the objective selection criteria.
In 2017, members of the public commented on a draft version of the Healthy People 2030 framework.
What happens next?
The Secretary's Advisory Committee on National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives for 2030 will carefully review all the comments and proposed objectives received. These public comments will help inform the final Healthy People 2030 objectives.
Objective Types for 2030
Although the objectives are not yet finalized, we do know that Healthy People 2030 will have 3 types of objectives: Core, Developmental, and Research.
Core objectives must meet the following 5 criteria to be included in Healthy People 2030. Core objectives should:
- Have a reliable, nationally representative data source with baseline data no older than 2015
- Have 2 additional data points during the decade
- Be of national importance
- Have effective, evidence-based interventions available to achieve the objective
- Have data to help address disparities and achieve health equity
Developmental objectives will have the following characteristics:
- Represent high priority issues
- Do not have reliable baseline data yet
- Have evidence-based interventions available
Research objectives will have the following characteristics:
- Represent key opportunities to make progress in areas with limited prior research, a high health or economic burden, or significant disparities between population groups
- May or may not have reliable baseline data
- Do not have evidence-based interventions available
If you have questions about public comment or the development of Healthy People 2030, please email HP2030@hhs.gov.