Minutes: Eighth Meeting: January 7-8, 2009
Secretary's Advisory Committee on
National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives for 2020
Phase II –Recommendations for Implementation of the Healthy People 2020 Objectives
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services,
Hubert H. Humphrey Building
200 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC
Eighth Meeting: January 7-8, 2009
Committee Recommendations (Approved by Vote)
- No formal votes were taken during the meeting.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has requested feedback on the following topics during the Committee's second year of work:
- Selection of targets for objectives
- Content areas for the Healthy People 2020 objectives themselves
- Topic areas and their organization
- Knowledge-based resources that HHS can recommend for stakeholder use
- System specifications and cross referencing for a Web-based version of Healthy People
- A Subcommittee will refine a list of recommendations to the Secretary for actions to advance the Healthy People 2020 goals and objectives. The document will be finalized and approved in February.
- The Committee will explore considerations for identifying and selecting interventions, including:
- Finding balance between "top-down" and "bottom-up" approaches
- Guiding users in the absence of evidence
- Helping on-line communities to generate data
- Addressing the lack of primary evidence
- Encouraging the coordination and funding of research.
- The Committee will explore considerations for target-setting methodologies, including:
- Planning for changes in knowledge and tools
- Defining success and failure
- Limiting the focus of Healthy People
- Stratifying objectives
- Examining the value of projections
- Providing clearly-defined terms
- Choosing aspirational vs. practical targets
- Setting targets for outcomes vs. determinants
- Reflecting on past target-setting approaches
- The Committee will consider creating logic models for each topic area to show how it relates to the other topic areas within Healthy People 2020.
- Subcommittee chairs convene their groups, and will report back to the Committee on progress.
- The Committee will hold a Web-based meeting in February. Monthly, Web-based meetings will be held throughout the spring. Members will determine at a later day whether they should meet in-person in the late spring or early summer.