How To Use HealthyPeople.gov
Below you'll find some helpful tips for using HealthyPeople.gov. Also be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
Topics & Objectives
Healthy People 2020 is organized into 42 topic areas. In each topic area, you'll find 4 tabs: Overview, Objectives, Interventions & Resources, and National Snapshots.
- In the Overview tab, you'll find a brief introduction to the topic along with information about why it's important to the Nation’s health.
- Read the list of objectives for the topic area in the Objectives tab. Each measurable objective includes a baseline, target, and data source.
- Browse topic-specific evidence-based intervention strategies, clinical recommendations, and links to consumer health information in the Interventions & Resources tab.
- Use the National Snapshots tab to view graphs and images that represent current data for selected objectives in the topic area.
Leading Health Indicators
Learn about the Healthy People 2020 Leading Health Indicators (LHIs), a set of objectives that reflect high-priority health issues and communicate actions that can address them. You can find information about the LHI selection process, track the Nation's progress, view our LHI infographic gallery, and more.
Use DATA2020, our new Healthy People 2020 interactive data search tool, to explore data and technical information related to the Healthy People 2020 objectives. Search the data using helpful objective filters, like topic area, population group, and intervention agent.
Healthy People in Action
Learn how communities around the country are implementing Healthy People 2020 goals and objectives. You can:
- Find stories from professionals using Healthy People in the field. You can also share your own story!
- Join the Healthy People 2020 Consortium, a diverse group of organizations committed to implementing Healthy People 2020 across the Nation.
- Find the Healthy People Coordinator in your State or Territory to learn how to get involved with Healthy People efforts in your area.
- Learn how States and Territories are using Healthy People to improve the Nation's health.
Tools & Resources
Use these tools and resources to learn more about the topic areas and objectives—and to start planning your program. You can:
- Search our database of evidence-based resources to find interventions and resources to improve the health of your community.
- Explore the connections between Healthy People 2020 and federal health promotion and disease prevention initiatives to see how Healthy People supports prevention efforts across the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to create a healthier Nation.
- Find online educational opportunities for health professionals, students, and community leaders working to reach Healthy People 2020 objectives.
- Learn more about topic areas and objectives to inform your own program planning.
- Check out other tools for professionals from Healthy People.
Webinars & Events
Find information on upcoming Healthy People webinars and events. You can also see a complete list of past webinars and events.
Read about the background, history, and development process of Healthy People 2020.