Fifth Meeting: September 4-5, 2008
Secretary's Advisory Committee on
National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives for 2020
- NORC will draft an executive summary for the report and send it to
Dr. Fielding and Dr. Kumanyika for review.
- ODPHP will email a list of
follow-up writing assignments to the Committee members; members will
email their revisions to NORC staff by September 5, 2008.
- Committee members will send their recommendations for external
reviewers of the report to Jonathan Fielding.
- Three additional rounds of revision to the report will be conducted.
Committee members will meet via an online meeting to finalize and
approve the final draft on October 15, 2008 at 2:00 P.M. (EDT) and
decide on agenda items for future meetings.
Next Steps: Launching the Committee's Week for Phase
- A specific process is needed for assessing why Healthy People
objectives have not met their targets. It is important to be clear that
1) targets must be realistic, and 2) dissemination of evidence-based
interventions is needed.
- The Committee should develop a list of questions for the federal
workgroups that will be developing objectives to encourage them to
involve user groups at critical stages in the process.
- Dr. Evans will report at the next meeting on CDC guidelines for
developing SMART objectives.
- Dr. Remington will lead efforts to develop system specifications for
the Healthy People 2020 Web-accessible database.
- The Committee will explore making recommendations about how small
amounts of funding for targeted research could enhance existing efforts
to improve the database for Healthy People objectives and targets.
- It is important to determine how one would obtain a sensitive
indicator of progress for how an upstream intervention affects outcomes.
- Case studies are needed for objective areas where there has been
comprehensive planning. These could serve as models for how Healthy
People 2020 should be used.
Day 1: September 4, 2008
Day 2: September 5, 2008